Friday, July 24, 2009

All Boy

Samuel has turned into such a little boy lately. Obviously, he was always a boy, but lately everything he seems to do is such typical little boy behavior:

* When going from one room to another, he will say something like "I'll be right back" and then he'll run off making zooming sound effects like he is a rocket or a superhero.

* Speaking of superheros, he LOVES spiderman and must wear spiderman underwear every day. One morning all of the spiderman underwear happened to be in the wash, and that was a mistake we are never going to repeat again. A temper tantrum before the sun comes up is not the most fun way to start the day.

* The other day I asked him if he wanted to watch Backyardigans (preschool-appropriate show on Noggin), and he said "No! That's not a cool show. They don't have powers!" What did he want instead? Thundercats.

* For the first time ever, he can go on playground equipment by himself. Usually I was right there next to him, helping him with ladders and slides, etc. but this year he wants (and is able) to do it all himself. I just get to spot from the ground instead of actually crawling inside tunnels with him (which, at 6 months pregnant, is nice.)

* He loves any kind of tool, and jumps at the chance to go into the garage with Ernie to help with things. He has his own set of plastic tools that he likes to play with all day, and then take into the bathtub at night to clean:



* He loves loves loves any kind of car, truck, or construction vehicle. I took him to a kids' fair last weekend and he had a lot of fun climbing inside the fire truck:



As a side note, his other favorite things at the fair were not the balloons or the free coloring books, but these things:

1. the parking meters.
2. the buttons in the elevator.
3. the handicap buttons you push to open the door.

Oh, and he also liked this little dinosaur statue:



In pregnancy news, I am now officially in the 3rd trimester. I can't believe time has gone so quickly. Here I am last week at 27 weeks:



At my doctor's appointment last week I had to take the glucose test. (For anyone who is not pregnant, that just means you have to drink this very sweet drink and then wait an hour, then they draw your blood. It's to check to make sure you do not have gestational diabetes.) I remember doing this test in Colorado and it was no big deal. I had to drink a small dixie cup of orange stuff (kind of like orange soda.) Well, apparently this drink is rationed in CO and in great supply here in IN, because I had to drink a TON of it here. Like an entire water bottle. And you have to drink it within 5 minutes. It was awful.
But the good news is that I heard from my doctor this week that I passed the test just fine and do not need to worry about gestational diabetes. However, I also learned that I am anemic so I have to start taking iron supplements. No big deal. I'm happy to do something that might give me more energy as I am always tired. And more energy will certainly be a good thing with a newborn around in another few months.

1 comment:

Jennifer McHam said...

Tristan is also SUPER into superheros! BTW, there is a Backyardigans book called Race to the Tower of Power where they are superheros and supervillains. It's T's favorite. Pierce makes the zooming noises wherever he goes. Love it! Oh and the iron supplements - um, take stool softeners. I never have gotten my taste for red meat back after my second pregnancy and iron supplements really do a number... Love, love, love to all of you!
hugs,
Jen